Tuesday, July 4, 2017

The Book Whisperer: Chapter 5


-Donalyn Miller: The Book Whisperer

Chapter five starts with Miller telling us about conversations she has had with students in her classroom about books. They want to talk with her about books she is reading, books that she didn't care for, books they recommend, how many books they read over break, etc. She points out that her students are made to crave these conversations because they see how much Miller loves reading. She then goes over the importance of teachers being a reader role model for their students. 


She then poses the question: What does reading mean to you? Do you see reading as something that gives you access to knowledge for work or success? Do you see reading as something that is enjoyable and a great escape for you? Or both? There is a self-reflection activity in the book that I wish I could find for you online! I could type them out, but basically they ask you to reflect on what reading was for you as a child, how you feel about reading now, and if you had any reading role models growing up. 

Miller then goes on to explain things teachers could do to become that role model for their students. This chapter contained good advice for teachers who do not care for reading, as well as for teachers who already love reading and read in their free time. I love reading! However, I could definitely be doing more to show my students how much joy I get from reading a good book. Miller states, "Don't do what I did in those first few years and leave your inner reader at home because you are afraid that no one at your school will get what you are doing." I'm so guilty of this! I go to school and discuss books I'm reading with my teaching buddy all the time! But why would I not do the same thing with my students? I should show them just how excited I get when I'm reading a good book.

Miller then encourages teachers to form a reading plan if they are not avid readers. Her reading plan suggestions include:

  • Committing to a certain amount of reading per day.
  • Choose books to read that are personally interesting to you.
  • Read more children's books. (This is a piece of advice that I plan to follow more often)
  • Take recommendations from your students. (This advice as well!)
  • Create your own reader's notebook.
  • Reflect on what you are reading. 

The last piece of advice Miller gives for this chapter is to share your reading struggles with your students. Tell them when you have a book that is hard for you to follow because of the way it is set up or just because it does not interest you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment