Monday, January 23, 2017

The Book Whisperer: Chapter 1




-Donalyn Miller: The Book Whisperer
The first chapter of this book begins with Miller sharing with the reader her love for reading and how she could not wait to instill this love for reading in her students her first year teaching. 
For her first year teaching, Miller decided to do a novel study. She soon became disappointed when her students did not seem to connect with the novel. She states that "they were robots." Students who already had a love for books would often rush through their work to read the book that they had chosen.


What point is she trying to make? Basically, this kind of instruction leads to one book for all students. Students are required to be on the same page and to do the same activities.
Miller then noticed that every time she allowed her students to freely choose their books, interest would rise. Miller says, "The lack of control over reading choice was the problem with my novel unit."

After loads of research and collaborating with colleagues, Miller changes her reading instruction her second year teaching. Miller constructed a reading workshop classroom. Instead of teaching from books or teaching guides, she just taught comprehension strategies a reader could apply to different kinds of texts. She also implemented a reader's notebook and required book talks instead of book reports.

She discusses how, although this was a start to her ideal classroom, she was still frustrated when lessons or strategies didn't work in her classroom like it did in other classrooms she had researched.

There is so much I want to say about what I was feeling when I read this first chapter. My goal my first two years teaching was to eventually to figure out a way to implement novel studies in my classroom as the main form of instruction. This year, I was finally able to start that, and I love it!

However, after reading this first chapter, I have been questioning if novel studies are the best strategy. Yes, my students are more engaged with the novel studies. And yes, they fall in love with the novel and beg to keep reading. But are they becoming life-long readers who will continue to seek novels they love? Also, this had me thinking about the possibility of receiving a student who has already read one of the novels that we have planned. From what I have read so far, it seems that Miller will give advice on how to continue class novel studies AND make time throughout the day for students to sit down and read a book of their choice.

I am very interested to see how this book affects my beliefs on the best way to deliver reading instruction. I can't wait to read more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment